Thursday, August 16, 2007

Make llamas, not war

Dr. Rob at Musings of a Distractable Mind has written the post that I've been trying to write for three months. Please read it.

Bravo, Dr. Rob. I couldn't have said it any better.

I'll include my reply below.

Powerlessness about sums it up.

So many people struggle with this issue. The occasional patient ‘makes it’ and loses the weight and keeps it off. But they are the exception.

I have begun to progress beyond powerless to feeling disingenuous. When I see a 50 something patient 150 pounds overweight who has tried every diet there is, doing my ‘eat less move more’ speech borders on insulting. They know it’s not going to work. I know it’s not going to work.

I’m not sure where to go with it next. It’s my responsibility as a primary care doctor to point out their health risk factors and advise them on changes.

But research has proven time and time again that my advice is worthless.

So many factors at play: society, genetics, self-control, economic pressures, time pressures, self-esteem, education.

Powerless.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Clearly we think alike. Your comment was right on.

By the way, the quote in your title comes from a Meme Post about spending the money that is being spent on the war. I suggested buying everyone in the US a Llama (and a Goat). Odd, I know. Good to see you blog.

Rob

Dr. Smak said...

Dr. Rob,

I had no idea the origin of your tag, but I found it hysterical.

Now I realize it's practical too. We could all start wearing handmade sweaters and eating our own homemade goat cheese. Cut down on global warming too, since lawnmowers pollute worse than almost anything else that takes gas, and goats will keep that lawn trim. Actually, it would probably cut down on the landfills too - don't they eat about anything?

I think you're on to something, Dr. Rob. Ever considered running for president? You already have the central plank in your platform.