Saturday, November 17, 2007

The gift of life

Chemotherapy has been hard on my son. As predicted, all of his blood counts have bottomed out. He has required both a blood (red cell) transfusion and a platelet transfusion, and will most certainly require more.

As the nurse hung the blood bag up and set it to infuse into his central line, she asked if I needed her to cover it with a bag, if it bothered me to see it hanging there. I said no, that it was fine.

I watched it going in, seeing the blood willingly given from someone somewhere, someone who has never met me or my son. Each drop that fell seemed like life being infused back into him, and I was profoundly grateful for this anonymous and selfless gift.

Thank you to each and everyone of you who has ever taken the time to lie on that plastic table and donate a unit of blood to the blood bank. I've done it before, and it never seemed like that big of a deal. Now that I'm on the receiving end of the gift, I can assure you that it is a huge deal. Next time you give blood imagine a human being on the other end of that tubing. You are truly saving a life.

Thank you.

www.givelife.org

3 comments:

Chrysalis Angel said...

Thank you to you, for all the times you donated. It's not good to sit reclined there and need to be transfused, and there isn't any available. So many are thinking of you.

Emily said...

I'm thinking of you and your son and donating blood regularly. I hope the chemotherapy kicks the cancer's ass and your son enters remission soon.

Femail doc said...

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I've got goosebumps here thinking of you at your small son's bedside, wishing you both outside in the sunshine soon.