Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Pass the salt...

A tale of two Sodiums:

Mr. Pabst was back for his 6 month checkup. He now smacks twice as fast as before, feels great, and is drinking "about the same" though he couldn't (or wouldn't) quantify that for me. His last recorded sodium level was 123. I'm guessing we're in the mid-teens now? I wonder if I could get a publication out of this one...Correlation of Repetitive Mouth Movements with Sodium Level in Chronic Hyponatremic Patients Who Refuse All Care Except their Inhalers.

My son, after 1000 cc of GoLytely via NG tube for his constipation, was ferociously thirsty. I have never seen someone so thirsty in my entire life. It was torturous to listen to him beg for water, which I couldn't give him since he vomited immediately when I let him put anything in his mouth. We finally settled on ice chips which limited the speed at which he could drink, so he didn't vomit. I found out in the morning when his labs were back (that were drawn during the thirst) that his sodium was 156. I've never seen one that high except on someone who was alert before. I hope I never see it again.

1 comment:

rlbates said...

I hope you don't either. Take care.