Friday, June 20, 2008

Shades of Gray

I've recently arrived at a life-altering decision.

I will not be coloring my hair.

The grays started appearing years ago, but easily pluckable. Recently, I've been unable to keep up. It's not yet presbyopia, which I'm beginning to sense is around the corner, and it's not exactly lack of time (though my poorly groomed eyebrows may tell you differently). And it's not just because I'm cheap. I am, but that's not why I won't color (there's a plan there, I'll get to that in a minute).

Part of it is laziness. Coloring takes a lot of upkeep, with the roots and all, and I'm just not that into my hair.

Part of it is attempting to embrace myself as I age, of choosing to be happy with what I've got.

Part of it is noticing how beautiful women who don't color their hair look, when it is a silvery salt and pepper.

Part of it is looking at all of those women with horrible dye jobs.

And, like I said, I'm cheap. But not completely without vanity. So, I've decided, that $160 that I could be spending every six weeks to keep my hair colored will be my designated shoe fund.

Do you think Mr. Smak will go for it?

10 comments:

SOCKS said...

Of course he will "go" for it.

It's perfect logic to me.

rlbates said...

I "second" Socks! Maybe split it between a shoe fund and a date night fund.

Anonymous said...

And people will tell you how young you look to have gray hair. It is flattering, until they stop. Then you will know you are old! But those in- between years are great.
Miss Susan

Eric, AKA The Pragmatic Caregiver said...

I've stopped coloring mine too. Not because I've been covering the grey (they're still pluckable) so much as I've been wearing it British-Soccer-Hooligan short, and with the various obligations on my time, every-two-weeks to keep the roots under control is not realistic. I don't know why I can't half a half-hour without a ringing phone or some crisis, but such is life.

If you love the particular color of your grey and how it complements your skin tone, mazel tov!

I vote that you take the money for shoes, and the time to do something more enjoyable than being trapped in a miasma of ammonia fumes.

E

Anonymous said...

Good for you Dr. Smak.
To each her own...at this point, I will continue to color.....
Enjoy.
k3p3
and I will also continue to buy shoes.......

Anonymous said...

Welcome to gray hair!

hlnc (although not true anymore!)

Doctor David said...

Embrace your grey! I did...

The MSILF said...

I really hope someday to have really long white or gray hair. Unfortunately, we turn mousy brown with some gray, not that stunning gray-white. I love it on women.

Texas Reader said...

This year, for financial reasons, I went from paying $55 plus $10 tip every four weeks (my hair grows fast) to buying Perfect 10 at CVS. Its a Clairol product and supposed to work in ten minutes but I give it 30 just to be sure. Sometimes, instead of buying this kit I just buy the root touch up kit. I can't tell ANY difference in the color between the drugstore kit and the salon job.

Femail doc said...

By odd reverse coincidence, I just used some gel in after washing temporary hair color for first time this week. I was going along thinking how brown things were when the nurse practitioner I work with candidly informed me otherwise. I certainly enjoy the glossy brown results, but find even a moment spent gelling is a bore. Ditto 'the MSILF', mousy brown with gray here, will work harder on my personality and perhaps bleach the teeth instead.