Saturday, November 8, 2008

The One Who Knows

Last fall my mother and sister and I planned a girls night out, dinner and a concert in a small venue in Alexandria. Then Henry was diagnosed.

I made myself go. It was my first social outing after his diagnosis, and incredibly difficult, but helped me to see and understand that life would go on.

We saw a performer named Dar Williams, who performs thoughtful and folksy acoustic music. Sister Smak has followed her for a long time. I was very emotional through the whole thing, but especially through a song she wrote called The One Who Knows. She introduced it by saying that she actually wrote it before she had her child, about the love that a parent has for a child. It was difficult to listen to, but remains the most beautiful song on parental love that I've ever heard.

Last night we went back to the Birchmere, and saw her again. It was a lovely performance. She didn't play The One Who Knows, which was probably a good thing. Through the grace of Lexapro I was able to enjoy the evening.

After the concert my daughter wanted to wait for Dar to sign a book. I felt the need to tell her about what the song means to me, and openly wept while I did. I'm so glad I had the chance to thank her for her music.

The One Who Knows

Time it was I had a dream
And you're the dream come true
And if I had the world to give
I'd give it all to you.
I'll take you to the mountains
I will take you to the sea
I'll show you how this life became
A miracle to me.

You'll fly away
but take my hand until that day
So when they ask how far love goes
When my job's done, you'll be the one who knows.

All the things you treasure most
Will be the hardest won
I will watch you struggle on
For the answers come
But I won't make it harder
I'll be there to cheer you up
I'll shine the light that guides you down
The road you're walking on

You'll fly away
but take my hand until that day
So when they ask how far love goes
When my job's done, you'll be the one who knows.

Before the mountains call to you
Before you leave this home
I will teach your heart to trust
As I will teach my own
But sometimes I will ask the moon
Where it shined upon you last
And shake my head and let me say
It all went by so fast

You'll fly away
but take my hand until that day
So when they ask how far love goes
When my job's done, you'll be the one who knows.

7 comments:

SOCKS said...

That is wonderfully fitting - for any parenting challenge.

...tom... said...

...

A youtube video of the song, by Dar, the best I could find.

Truly a beautiful song, words, meaning.


Thanks for sharing with me, with us.


...tom...

Dr. Smak said...

Thanks Tom, for the link.
Smak

rlbates said...

Wish I could do more for you. Take care.

Anonymous said...

You break my heart.

Ms. Fiddler said...

Thank you - For sharing with another parent a beautiful reminder of how much we love our children... from our dreams of them and into our futures with them... wherever God takes them - Your family is loved so deeply...

Ann of the Incredible Gift said...

Thank you for the lyrics to "The One Who Knows". I'm sitting here all choked up and weeping after reading them.

Tom, thank you for the link.