Thursday, June 18, 2009

Baby Blue

Once again, geeking out on Dave. The summer tour is in full swing, and I'll get to see the band play in about a month. It's easy to geek out on a guy who is not only a fabulous musician, but as a friend recently noted, somehow is super yummy even though he always looks like he just finished mowing the lawn.

The Dave Matthews Band has a new album, Big Whiskey and the Groogrux King. There's some really good stuff on it, check out Seven and Why I Am for my favorites.

I so often find a piece of his songs that speak to me, that relate so much to me or my life. The mark of a great artist, to touch many people in many ways.

This one is not just a little uncanny. I can almost believe it was written for me.

Baby Blue
Confess, your kiss still knocks me off my legs.
The first time I saw you was like a punch right through my chest.
And I will forever, ‘cause you’ll forever be,
My one true broken heart, pieces inside of me and you forever,
My baby.

You will rest your head, your strength once saving.
And when you wake, you will fly away,
Holding tight to the legs of all your angels.
Goodbye, my love, into your blue, blue eyes.
Your blue, blue world.
You're my baby, blue.

Confess, I'm not quite ready to be left.
Still I know I gave my level best.
You give, you give, to this I can attest,
You made me, you made me,
You and me forever, baby.

You will rest your head, your strength once saving.
And when you wake, you will fly away,
Holding tight to the legs of all your angels.
Goodbye, my love, into your blue, blue eyes.
In your blue, blue world.
You and me forever.


Dave, man, if you ever read this, thanks for your music.

Oh, and call me.

9 comments:

Snickollet said...

Wow, and wow.

I hope he reads the blog, and calls you.

radioactive girl said...

I think you and I are very similar in that music really connects with us and helps us. I totally understand your connection because I have one to Rob Thomas. There are several songs he has that helped me through my cancer journey.

rlbates said...

Echoing Snickollet!

Sybil said...

Thank you so much for sharing the words to t. Only wish I could hear that great song but I confess I have never heard of him over her ein the UK..(My gorgeous Goddaughter had the lovely blue eyes as well)
Much Love Sybil xx

...tom... said...

...

For Sybil, et alli:

Dave Matthews Band at youtube


Maybe Dr. Smak could point us at a couple of her favorites...


...tom...
.

suepaul said...

Hello Dr. Smak,

I'm delurking here.

I've forwarded your blog address to our friends' son, who grew up with our girls, and has been on the road with DMB for over five years. He is the assistant to the violin player.

I don't expect you'll hear from Dave, but I DID tell Bryan what an impact DMB had on you.

Who knows?

I am sorry for your loss, it sucks.

Dr. Smak said...

Tom, I'll work on my favorites list for an upcoming post. It'll take me a while.

Suepaul,
That's just cool. Thanks.

Smak

...tom... said...

...

@ suepaul

..!! That is indeed way cool.

I had actually visited the band's website looking for a contact e-mail . . .or anything. Not surprisingly ...I found nothing. I can imagine they get many, many thoughts and messages even without an official contact.

But it would be way cool if your humble efforts did indeed prove fruitful. Way cool.


Anyway . . ..


...tom...
.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Smak, have been a bit out of the loop with your blog--with C Diff and a wedding, my days have been a bit crazed. The C Diff is plain shitty; the wedding was magical.
I'm hoping you get a contact from your lawn mowing man real soon.
k3p3